Fairoaks Farm can trace its roots back as far as the Domesday Book. It has been owned by the same family since at least 1743, which provides an indication of the long term nature of the relationship that they have had with the land.
All visitors benefit from this relationship today, because although modern farming methods were obviously adopted, the integrity of the landscape, its traditions and ancient woodlands have been allowed to flourish.
In fact, the family is actually responsible for the original planting around Chanctonbury Ring 19th Century. When the ancient beeches were then destroyed during the great hurricane of 1987, it was the same family who planted and payed for their replacement.
The Great House at Wiston Park is possibly one of the most surprising in The South of England. Set in 150 acres of the most beautiful parkland imaginable, it is a huge and strangely beautiful building, which today can be hired as a popular venue for Weddings and other private functions.
Wiston House became part of the Estate thanks to an interesting precursor to women’s lib perhaps. A Miss Fagge, the sole heir of Wiston Park, was betrothed to another. on the eve of their wedding, the prospective groom was looking at the downland and mentioned how strange it was that all he could see would become his on the morrow.
The Nuptials were promptly called off. Miss Fagge then married into the present family, whose neighbouring lands were large enough for her to know that Wiston would remain in her control!